Author Topic: Embracing the power of random  (Read 23263 times)

Offline synik

• Cake or death
Embracing the power of random
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:52:41 PM »
Hi,

Many years back (*cough* 80s *cough*) I ran a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay games for some schoolmates. If I'm honest, I pretty much winged it most days, using a combination of the main rules and the rather good 'something random happens' table from RuneQuest's Griffin Island. For our group, it seemed that a few ideas from that were enough to riff something together, and keep us entertained over lunch. At least, such are my memories. :)

So, I was rather chuffed to see these gems pop up on my newsfeed:

https://randroll.com/archive/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-generators-guide/

http://chaoticshiny.com/modernchargen.php

Both collections of dice driven events. Maybe you'll find them useful to spark some ideas or save time when it comes to creating NPCs.

:gameon:

Offline jdrew25

Re: Embracing the power of random
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:53 AM »
Is there a d20 version of Warhammer Fantasy? I've seen people play the board game before, but I've never had a chance to get into it as much as I'd like.

Offline synik

• Cake or death
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »
Not that I'm aware of, but that's not saying much :) A quick peek on Google shows some house rules to swap it over, but they look very light and unofficial.

Offline jdrew25

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
Well that stinks. Homebrew it is then!

Offline synik

• Cake or death
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:17:48 PM »
WHFRP's rules are different from D20. But, I think they are part of the fun of the setting. They can be quite brutal, but they do play differently to level based games. It's more about careers and your experience points can buy you skills, as well as stats. From what I remember, the background is really rich because of the variety of jobs available.

Offline Oloth the Mad

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 07:12:21 AM »
There are actual books to use for Warhammer that doesn't involve the board game out there.